Saturday, November 26, 2005

Mentor Run (Post Turkey Gorge)

There are always good and bad associated with running. More often than not, the bad is overshawdowed by the high of completing something wonderful and you never dwell on the struggles. Today I remembered the bad even after succesfully completing a goal.

We headed out to Heather Farms for a mentor led run. Today's goal was 10 miles. Mission accomplished, but it was very tough. I want to blame it on post-Thanksgiving laziness. I want to blame it on the 40 degree temperature. I want to blame it on my minor cold, but I was just not feeling it today. I never struggled so hard during the first 2 miles of a run as I did today. There must have been 5 or 6 times where I kept telling myself to turn around and go home. I was conjuring every possible excuse to let people know I needed to go home. I finally fell behind and waited for Bryan to keep up with his pace, so I wouldn't wimp out. Bryan also self-admitted he was struggling, but we finished off the last 8 miles. We both didn't have a great running day, but gutted it out and finished strong for the last mile. We ended up being the sweepers for the day, but everyone cheered and ran us in at the finishi line.

10 miles completed, but it wasn't pretty. I now know I can complete something even when i'm not on my "A" game.

Miles completed today: 10 miles
Total Miles since Kick-off: 157 miles

No comments: